NOVELLA SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
SUBMISSION WINDOW: JANUARY 1, 2020 – FEBRUARY 1, 2020
All submissions sent to us before or after this window will be deleted without being read.
WHAT WE DON’T WANT:
- YA, story collections, poetry, or erotica.
- Gore for the sake of gore, or sex for the sake of sex. There are other publications that publish stories for shock value – we are not one of them. With that said, we are not opposed to it. Any act of violence or sex should be integral to the plot.
- Descriptive child abuse in any way, shape, or form will be instantly rejected.
- Stories propagating racism, homophobia, xenophobia, or any other form of hate.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Horror, science fiction, fantasy, thriller; the genre can be anything. That said, the story needs to have strange and sinister themes and/or strong horror elements.
- 17,000 Words – 40,000 Words.
- The sweet spot we are looking for is between 25,000 to 35,000 words.
- Please follow our formatting example here.
- Please do NOT use Courier font… Please.
- Please do NOT use TAB to indent.
WHERE TO SUBMIT:
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
- In the subject line, please fill out as such: “NOVELLA – TITLE OF NOVELLA – word count” EXAMPLE: “NOVELLA – STRANGE AND SINISTER – 35k”
- Attach a .doc or .docx file of only the first chapter of your manuscript. Any other file type will not be considered and deleted instantly.
- Within the body of the email, please provide us with a detailed synopsis (no more than 500 words) and a short bio.
- If your manuscript makes our shortlist, we will request a full copy of your manuscript. Then and only then will you need to send us your full manuscript.
- 50 USD Advance against royalties. The author will be paid 50 USD on the official publication date of the novella, but we (Aphotic Realm) will claim 100 percent of the royalties earned until the threshold of 50 USD is reached. Thereafter, royalties will be split 60/40 (Author/Publisher).
- By signing the contract, the author will grant Aphotic Realm the right to exclusively publish the novella in print, digital, and audio formats. All other details will be discussed before the drafting of the contract.
- You can email us at Questions(at)AphoticRealm(dot)com or send us a direct message on twitter @AphoticRealmMag.